Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plagana
Returning Member

Moved from NYC to NJ in 2019. I changed my address to NJ address and now Turbotax is refunding my NYC taxes. What is my state of residence? New York or New Jersey?

I checked, No for lived in another state.  Filled in New York for my state of residence.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Moved from NYC to NJ in 2019. I changed my address to NJ address and now Turbotax is refunding my NYC taxes. What is my state of residence? New York or New Jersey?

Your New York state taxes may be getting refunded to you if you put your new address in the taxpayer information section of your New York state return. 

According to the directions for New York Form IT-201:

If you moved after December 31, 2018, enter your permanent home address as of December 31, 2018, not your current home address. Enter your new home address in the mailing address area if you want your refund and other correspondence sent there.

Please view page 14 in the New York link below for more information.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf

[Edited 03/14/2019 I 4:42 PM]

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Your New York state taxes may be getting refunded to you if you put your new address in the taxpayer information section of your New York state return. 

According to the directions for New York Form IT-201:

If you moved after December 31, 2018, enter your permanent home address as of December 31, 2018, not your current home address. Enter your new home address in the mailing address area if you want your refund and other correspondence sent there.

Please view page 14 in the New York link below for more information.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf

[Edited 03/14/2019 I 4:42 PM]

plagana
Returning Member

Reread question.  This didn't answer my question.  Moved after tax year.  
plagana
Returning Member

Reread question.  This didn't answer my question.  Moved after tax year.  
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I misread your question. Please view my edited answer above and let me know if it helps.
plagana
Returning Member

Thank you.  That did it.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies