turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from California to Washington, renting out my old house, how to prepare for 2019

I moved from California to Washington in June of 2019.

In California I had a regular full time job, a house, and 2 rental properties. 

When I moved, I rented out my house as well. 

Now, I have a regular full time job in Washington and am renting an apartment in Washington. 

(I have 3 rentals in California including my old house).

What should I do to prepare for 2019 taxes? 

A co-worker said I should send the California Franchise Tax Board a letter stating that I have moved from the state and include my last pay stub from my old California job, and my first paystub from my new Washington job.  He said that when he moved, California was trying to claim income taxes on his Washington state job!

Any forms I should fill out? Change of Address? What else should I include in the letter?

A copy of my new lease at the apartment I am renting in Washington? 

A copy of the lease converting my old house in California to a rental? 

Will I still be able to file taxes with Turbotax? Or are they too complex now? 

Thank you for your help!!! ❤️

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Moved from California to Washington, renting out my old house, how to prepare for 2019

Much as it would be nice there is nothing you can do in advance to make CA eat crow ... so keep good records and change you DL & voters registration asap if you have not yet done so , keep a copy of the lease you have and the lease for the personal residence you rent out along with any other documents that support your position and expect the state to send a letter in a couple of years. 

TomD8
Level 15

For 2019, you'll be filing California Form 540NR, the tax return form for California part-year residents and non-residents.

California can tax ALL the income you earned during your time as a CA resident.  You were a CA resident) until the day you began living in your new domicile (your fixed, permanent residence, whether owned or rented), in WA.  

Once you became a WA resident, the income you earn by working in WA is not taxable by CA.  HOWEVER, you would remain subject to taxation by CA as a non-resident on the income from your rental properties located in CA.

So, for tax year 2019, your CA taxable income will include ALL the income you earned as a CA resident + all your CA rental income for the entire year.

WA, of course, has no personal income tax.

This weblink has the instructions for changing your address with the California FTB:   https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/ivr/619.shtml

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies