turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military resident of Florida living in Ohio. Working a second job remotely that is based in Florida. Do I pay Ohio state tax?

I noticed my pay stub from the small Florida based business started to take out OH state tax. Because I am a Florida resident, should I have them stop this?

Also, can I receive the money back that has been paid towards Ohio?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Military resident of Florida living in Ohio. Working a second job remotely that is based in Florida. Do I pay Ohio state tax?

No, you cannot get them to stop the Ohio withholding. You cannot get that refunded. You have Ohio source income and must file a non resident Ohio return.

Although your spouse can work a civilian job and not be subject to Ohio tax, you cannot. Only your military pay is exempt from Ohio tax.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Sorry but you have non military  Ohio based wages  so you will have to file a non resident OHIO return and pay OH taxes on that income.
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you cannot get them to stop the Ohio withholding. You cannot get that refunded. You have Ohio source income and must file a non resident Ohio return.

Although your spouse can work a civilian job and not be subject to Ohio tax, you cannot. Only your military pay is exempt from Ohio tax.

even though he is earning nonmilitary pay in OH?

It'ss the servicemember, not the spouse.
Hal_Al
Level 15

deleted
Hal_Al
Level 15

deleted
Hal_Al
Level 15

Above answer revised

Income from a second job is subject to taxation by the state where you are live and work – which for most servicemembers will be the state where they are stationed. 

http://www.americanbar.org/portals/public_resources/aba_home_front/information_center/servicemembers...

Manage cookies