turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MFJ - part year NJ resident marrying full year NJ resident

We are getting married in 2019.  My wife is a full time NJ resident.  I became a NJ resident this year and qualify as a Part-Year NJ Resident (we both live in NJ as our permanent home).  We will file Federal as MFJ.  In NJ it is my understanding that we file MFJ using NJ Form-1040.  However, there is only one place for the dates of part time residency, not a place for each of us.  How do I tell NJ that these part time dates are only for me because my wife is a full time resident? 

These dates are used for prorating exemptions, deductions, etc. on line 30 and this calculation should account for our different statuses and not prorate all based on only my part year status.  I can manually prorate appropriately - is this acceptable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

"I can manually prorate appropriately - is this acceptable?"

Since you must prorate, I don't see why manual prorating wouldn't be acceptable.  The important thing is that your return is done correctly.  Be sure to follow NJ's proration rule, which is that you must prorate exemptions, deductions, etc,  by the number of months you were a New Jersey nonresident.  For this calculation, NJ regards 15 days or more as a month.   See pages 5-6 of this reference for details:  https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/1040nri.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I used NJ-1040 which can be used for NJ Full year residents as well as NJ Part year residents.  As mentioned the return is MFJ but there is only one place for the dates of residency but there are 2 people on the return (on full time; one part time).    Turbo Tax will do the prorating on line 30 based on the dates for the part time resident.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies