Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Me and my wife were Illinois resident in 2017. I work in Illinois and my wife works in Wisconsin. I will file "Married filed jointly" for federal. Two states returns?

Both me and my wife earned wages as income, no other income. We both lived together in Illinois in entire year of 2017. But I worked in Illinois, whereas my wife worked in Wisconsin. I am planning to file "married filed jointly" for federal. For the state return, should I file Illinois state return and my wife file Wisconsin state return separately? Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Me and my wife were Illinois resident in 2017. I work in Illinois and my wife works in Wisconsin. I will file "Married filed jointly" for federal. Two states returns?

It depends, but you should only have to file one state:  Illinois.  The reason is that Illinois and Wisconsin are reciprocal states:  they agree that you only pay state tax where you live (IL) and not where you work (for her, WI).  If only Illinois taxes were withheld, it will not be necessary to file a Wisconsin state return of any kind.

However, if Wisconsin tax withholdings were mistakenly withheld, you may file a Wisconsin return with a zero income using the Wisconsin Salary Allocation screen in the screenshot below.  This way, all Wisconsin tax will be refunded.  In addition, you may file Wisconsin Form W-220 (click on link) so that her Wisconsin employer withholds IL taxes only.  Please see this FAQ for more information on reciprocal states https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

Please note the following screenshot to zero out your Wisconsin income if necessary to do so:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but you should only have to file one state:  Illinois.  The reason is that Illinois and Wisconsin are reciprocal states:  they agree that you only pay state tax where you live (IL) and not where you work (for her, WI).  If only Illinois taxes were withheld, it will not be necessary to file a Wisconsin state return of any kind.

However, if Wisconsin tax withholdings were mistakenly withheld, you may file a Wisconsin return with a zero income using the Wisconsin Salary Allocation screen in the screenshot below.  This way, all Wisconsin tax will be refunded.  In addition, you may file Wisconsin Form W-220 (click on link) so that her Wisconsin employer withholds IL taxes only.  Please see this FAQ for more information on reciprocal states https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

Please note the following screenshot to zero out your Wisconsin income if necessary to do so:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies