Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danielismyson
Returning Member

Maine state filing status is incorrect

TurboTax is using my Federal Filing marital status for my Maine return which is married filing separately, but now they want my spouses name and address on the Maine return. I have not had a problem before because Maine considers be single for tax purposes. My husband lives in Texas and I live in Maine. Why can't I change the filing status on my Maine return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Maine state filing status is incorrect

Yes, if you are filing Married Filing Separately on your Federal return, you do have an option within TurboTax to file your Maine return as Married Filing Separately as well. 

Under the Personal Information Tab, under You & Your Family, tell the software that you live in Maine.  It will ask you about your husband's state of residence, as well, and you can type Texas in the box.

Once you've completed that information, continue through the questions.  When it asks, "do you want to file this return together with your spouse," choose No.  Make sure you indicate that you are Married.

The software will then choose Married Filing Separately as a filing status for you.

Continue the Federal tax return, and then the software should transfer it to the State of Maine.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies