turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lduffy07

Do I have to file taxes for a month in ny if i lived and worked in nj for 11 months out of the year?

will i be taxed for the whole year by ny or just for the one month as all income was earned in nj for the year
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do I have to file taxes for a month in ny if i lived and worked in nj for 11 months out of the year?

You will have to file three state tax returns - New York part-year resident, New Jersey part-year resident, and New Jersey part-year nonresident. You will pay NY tax only for the one month that you lived in NY. TurboTax will guide you through preparing the three returns. Shortly after you start your NJ return it will ask you if you earned income in New Jersey while living in a different state. Be sure to answer Yes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What was your situation for the one month? Which state did you live in for that month? Which state did you work in for that month?
lduffy07

lived in nj for 11 months lived in ny for 1 month (where I live now)  worked in nj for the entire 12 months at the same job.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You will have to file three state tax returns - New York part-year resident, New Jersey part-year resident, and New Jersey part-year nonresident. You will pay NY tax only for the one month that you lived in NY. TurboTax will guide you through preparing the three returns. Shortly after you start your NJ return it will ask you if you earned income in New Jersey while living in a different state. Be sure to answer Yes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies