turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TAW1192
Returning Member

Live in VA work in DC, filing VA-4 and W-4 forms

So I recently started a job in DC (12/2/19). This is my first official job and I am required to fill out both the VA-4 and the W-4 forms. Here's some info about myself that'll help: I live with my parents and haven't paid taxes in previous years due to the fact that I was not working and they claimed me as a dependent. For the VA-4 form, I am stuck on Line 3 which states: "I certify that I am not subject to Virginia Withholding. I meet the conditions set forth in the instructions." I checked the box due to the fact that I met one of the requirements that I "had no liability for VA income last year and you do not expect to have any liability for this year." Is this correct? I know that the forms take some time to process so I don't think I will necessarily get my first paycheck until next year (Jan. 2020). I also know that VA and DC have reciprocity so I just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly.

In addition, for the W-4,  for Part A, I filled out 0 because I'm still living under my parent's roof and still dependent on them for certain things, and for Part D for the Personal Allowances Worksheet I filled out 1 due to me being single and having only one job. I know I'm just crossing my t's and dotting my i's, but I just want to make sure what I'm filling out is correct so that I avoid any sort of penalties.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Live in VA work in DC, filing VA-4 and W-4 forms

Generally:

W-4 :   1 allowance is about right on line 5 of the W-4 even if living at home. 

If you are 19 or older in 2020, and If you will earn more than ~$4200 from that DC job (not sure exact amounts are set for 2020 yet), and are not a full time student in college, then your parents cannot claim you as a dependent for 2020.  ( 2019?  depends on similar, but if job started in December, and pays less than $4200 for that one month, maybe your parents can claim you for 2019?  Whether as a Qualifying Child, or Qualifying relative depends on your age and college status.)

VA-4:  No. I think need to have maybe 1 allowance there too. this part...."and you do not expect to have any liability for this year."  Ignore the fact that for 2019 you won't likely owe VA anything, it will mostly be applied to all of 2020, and for as long as you keep working there, they probably  need to withhold VA taxes during 2020. 

(Technically, you could use the line 3 exemption for 2019...IF you  will get a  2019 W-2 in January for that one month of pay....but then you'd have make sure you to fill out a new VA-4 on 2 January for 2020 resetting it to 1 allowance. Payroll may object to messing around with it and you have to make sure yourself that they actually apply the reset VA-4 and start withholding VA taxes in 2020)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies