turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

netbeans

Live in NY, work in GA, who do I pay income taxes to?

I live in New York state and am considering a fully remote role at a global company.  This company's headquarters is in the United Kingdom, but the office location of the group that I would be working for is in Georgia.  I have never lived in Georgia before, and would be working 100% remotely from New York.  From what I have read, it seems as if I would have to pay both New York state income tax and Georgia state income tax on my wages (double taxation).  Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

if you work and live in GA, you would only pay taxes to GA.  

in the year you move, there would be tax returns required for both NY and GA, but that is nothing out of the norm for people that move between states.

or, are you saying you are going to remain in NY to both work and live.  In that case, you'd pay taxes to NY only.  

netbeans

I will continue living in NY and working remotely from NY, but the company I will be an employee of is located in GA.  So as long as I am physically working from NY, I only have to pay NY state taxes, correct?

@netbeans - I guess that 'working remotely from NY' throws me 

simply, if you work and live in NY - regardless of where the Company's HQ or regional office is, you will pay NY income tax and not GA. 

You are not stepping foot in GA , so no tax to be paid there.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

I agree with NCperson, you only pay tax, on that income, to NY.  You do not file a GA return, unless your employer mistakenly withholds GA tax.  Then, you would only file a GA return to get a refund. Try to address the state withholding with your employer up front.

A handful of states (New York, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Delaware and Arkansas) tax telecommuters. GA is not one of them. 

TomD8
Level 15

To add to @Hal_Al's answer, if your employer cannot or does not withhold NY taxes from your pay, you'll have to pay quarterly estimated taxes to NY.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/estimated_tax/who_must_make.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies