turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in NC, work in CA

I'm a full time college student.  I live in NC, but my only source of income was a summer internship in CA.  Since all my income was earned in CA, do I still need to file a NC state tax return?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
Level 15

Live in NC, work in CA

You need to file in both states.  Your resident state of NC can tax all your income, regardless of where you earn it.  CA can tax you as a non-resident on any income you earn by working in CA.  You must file a non-resident CA return, plus a resident NC return.  

You'll be able to claim a credit on your NC return for the taxes paid to CA, so in effect you won't be double-taxed.

In TurboTax, be sure to complete the non-resident state return first, before the home state return, so that the program can correctly calculate and apply the credit.

In the Personal Info section of TT, enter NC as your State of Residence, answer No to the question about living in another state, and answer Yes to having had income from another state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies