Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just moved to PA, but employer is still taking Maryland taxes. Need guidance please!

So, we just moved to PA, and are using 1/1/20 as the move date to make things more simple. I am still working in Maryland. My employer is still taking out MD taxes, as well as the county I used to live at in MD. I am thinking this should be changed to PA, as well as the county should be changed to my new county there as well so I don't have issues at the end of the year. My employer thinks because I work in MD, that those taxes should be taken out. Do I change to PA, and if so is there a form I need to fill out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Just moved to PA, but employer is still taking Maryland taxes. Need guidance please!

You should submit Maryland Form MW507 to your employer, certifying that you are now a resident of PA.  Here's a link to that form:  https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/20_forms/mw507.pdf

Directions are printed on the form. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

But what do I do about making sure then that PA taxes are taken out? And my local county or township taxes?

TomD8
Level 15

@amarillo71 --  You'll have to talk to your employer's payroll or HR department.  I don't know if MD employers are required to withhold PA taxes for their employees who reside in PA.

If your employer does not withhold PA taxes, you'll have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to PA.  See this reference for details about that: https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-577.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies