turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aapgar4

It says I owe money to the state, will they take it out of my federal return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Taxes owed can never be paid from a tax refund, federal or state.

In the File section of the program on Step 2 when taxes are owed you are given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  Paying the taxes owed from the federal tax refund is Not one of the options.

No, the State will not take it from the Federal. But you can delay the processing of what you owe the State till July 15th this year and, as you are expecting a return from your Federal, AND if you electronically file your Federal IRS return now, the deposit from the return should be in your account within 2 weeks...at least a month before money for the State would be withdrawn.

aapgar4

okay thank you. I have another  question for you then. I didn't have insurance so that is where me owing is from. Some people told me they got rid of that for 2019. Do you know if this is true?

@aapgar4 wrote:

okay thank you. I have another  question for you then. I didn't have insurance so that is where me owing is from. Some people told me they got rid of that for 2019. Do you know if this is true?

The requirement to have health insurance or pay a penalty was removed from the tax code after tax year 2018 on a federal tax return.  Some states still have this requirement and will impose a penalty on a state tax return if you do not have health insurance.

If I owe the state of Maine money for back pay from years ago, will they take my state or federal taxes or both? They took my stimulus and both taxes last year and i still owe because of all the late fees and added fines.

@scbailey13 

They can seize your Federal or State refund, or both.  Or place a lien on your bank account, etc.  Have you tried to work out a payment plan with Maine?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies