Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maine1958

I went to school in nj the company i worked for is from pa but I did the work in nj do i have to file taxes for pa?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I went to school in nj the company i worked for is from pa but I did the work in nj do i have to file taxes for pa?

It depends.  The question is in which state are you a resident.  If you are a New Jersey resident, the answer to the question is no.  Since you are physically working and living in NJ, only NJ can tax you.  PA does have a law that would allow them to tax someone from another state who telecommutes, but this will also not affect you, because, as a NJ resident, there is a reciprocal agreement between NJ and PA that states you will only be taxed in your resident state.  In this scenario, you would only file a PA return to have any PA state taxes refunded to you if any were mistakenly withheld, by filing a PA nonresident return with a zero income.

If you are a PA resident, then, yes, you do file a PA return.  But you would only file a NJ nonresident return with zero income if you had NJ income tax withheld for the same reason.  The reciprocal arrangement means you only pay state tax to the state you live in.

The fact that the company is based in PA does not matter in this case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The question is in which state are you a resident.  If you are a New Jersey resident, the answer to the question is no.  Since you are physically working and living in NJ, only NJ can tax you.  PA does have a law that would allow them to tax someone from another state who telecommutes, but this will also not affect you, because, as a NJ resident, there is a reciprocal agreement between NJ and PA that states you will only be taxed in your resident state.  In this scenario, you would only file a PA return to have any PA state taxes refunded to you if any were mistakenly withheld, by filing a PA nonresident return with a zero income.

If you are a PA resident, then, yes, you do file a PA return.  But you would only file a NJ nonresident return with zero income if you had NJ income tax withheld for the same reason.  The reciprocal arrangement means you only pay state tax to the state you live in.

The fact that the company is based in PA does not matter in this case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies