turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BAVV915
Returning Member

I received a rebate from Horizon as part of their tax rebate from the government Do i need to claim this rebate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I received a rebate from Horizon as part of their tax rebate from the government Do i need to claim this rebate?

It depends on how/what form they reported it on, but normally, no. 

A rebate is just a "return of your money" so if the money was not used as a deduction on your tax return, it would not need to be claimed as income. 

For example: If you paid a medical bill and later got a rebate or refund from the hospital, if you used that amount as a medical expense on your taxes, you would need to claim it, if you never did, you wouldn't. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

It depends on how/what form they reported it on, but normally, no. 

A rebate is just a "return of your money" so if the money was not used as a deduction on your tax return, it would not need to be claimed as income. 

For example: If you paid a medical bill and later got a rebate or refund from the hospital, if you used that amount as a medical expense on your taxes, you would need to claim it, if you never did, you wouldn't. 

BAVV915
Returning Member

Thank you for the answer.  I appreciate your help and this answered my question completely!
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

We thank you for using TurboTax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies