turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kfleeger

I am active duty military in MD but have FL residency. My husband earned income in VA as a MD resident. Turbo Tax is trying to take MD taxes out of our JOINT income rather than just my husband's. How do I adjust this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am active duty military in MD but have FL residency. My husband earned income in VA as a MD resident. Turbo Tax is trying to take MD taxes out of our JOINT income rather than just my husband's. How do I adjust this?

It depends.  However, Maryland under no circumstance can tax your military income because you are not a Maryland resident.  Maryland can and does, however, factor in your income to determine how much tax is on your husband's income.  

What Maryland does is to calculate what your tax would be on all of the income, and then prorate the tax based on the percentage of income actually earned in Maryland.  But your income is not taxed there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kfleeger

Essentially the calculation that Maryland is making amounts to taxes of ~50% of my husband's income
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

There is another possiblity, which is for your husband to file separately in Maryland.  This guarantees that your income is excluded.  Before you try this, however, you may want to double-check that your state of residency is marked as Florida and your W-2 is marked as active duty.  Then, if you wish to see if filing separately on the MD return will be better, see this FAQ:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995</a>
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies