turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there anything I can do about filling state taxes for a state I only worked in, since I did not drive into the office for 9 months of 2020?

I usually went into the office in a different state than I lived, but in 2020, due to COVID-19, I was sent home to work for more than six months of the year. So I wondered if I still needed to file my employment taxes for the state I worked in, that is different state than I lived in.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there anything I can do about filling state taxes for a state I only worked in, since I did not drive into the office for 9 months of 2020?

State tax laws vary in regard to working from home.   We could help better if you tell us what states are involved.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I live in Missouri, but I used to drive to Kansas to go into the office. But since we were sent to work from home, I thought I saw something that you could file, that changed that for the year. 

@TomD8     ?   Missouri and Kansas?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/is-there-anything-i-can-do-about-filling-st...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Since you live in Missouri, ALL your income is taxable by MO - regardless of where you earned it.

The income you earned on the days you physically worked in KS is also taxable by KS.

So you must file a non-resident KS tax return in addition to your resident state MO tax return.

You can claim a credit on your MO tax return for the taxes you pay to KS on the income that is taxed by both states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Manage cookies