Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRC 1341 repayment credit -- but for state (Arkansas)?

In 2019 I partially repaid a bonus I received in 2017.  I am claiming the "Claim of Right" credit on my Federal Tax return per the process outlined here (not the deduction, the credit):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/what-is-the-irc-1341-repayment-credit-in-layman-s...

and here

Page 34:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

What I can piece together is what to do for my state taxes (Arkansas).  I can't find any reference on Arkansas websites to this situation and my Turbotax program (Mac premier, desktop) doesn't seem to be incorporating the credit (which I manually entered via Forms on my Federal Tax) into my Arkansas tax return.

What should I do?  Re-file my 2017 return and just lower my income for that year?  Something else? 

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Arkansas does have a number of credits and adjustments, but they don' appear to have one for Claim of Right, nor do they have an "other" category.   I don't see any way to take a credit or a deduction on your 2019 Arkansas return.  I don't believe filing an amended return for 2018 will work, as you would not also be amending your federal return, and your federal AGI is used to determine your Arkansas taxable income.  

I suggest you contact the Arkansas Department of Finance at (501) 682-1100 and consult with them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Arkansas does have a number of credits and adjustments, but they don' appear to have one for Claim of Right, nor do they have an "other" category.   I don't see any way to take a credit or a deduction on your 2019 Arkansas return.  I don't believe filing an amended return for 2018 will work, as you would not also be amending your federal return, and your federal AGI is used to determine your Arkansas taxable income.  

I suggest you contact the Arkansas Department of Finance at (501) 682-1100 and consult with them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, that's what I was thinking, but was hoping for a simpler solution (that doesn't involve calling a government agency!).

Thank you for your help! @DavidD66 

jockamo

DrizzleP...I'm having the same problem this year w/my AR taxes, did you ever get a resolution?  I' haven't been able to get through via phone to the state office .  Thanks in advance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies