ndjolt02

Income from Other States

I worked in Kentucky for all of 2019, lived in Kentucky for January-April, and lived in Ohio for May-December. I'm trying to figure out what my portion of income would be for each state. In the TurboTax field, it says to enter the portion of income I earned or incurred in Kentucky or while a resident of the state. Should I just put my income for the first 4 months of the year or put the total amount I earned in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TomK100

Income from Other States

Please see this Help article for instructions on how to file two state tax returns as a part-time resident in each.

Hal_Al

Income from Other States

The reciprocal resentment between KY &OH only applies to full year residents.  So it doesn't apply to you for 2019.

The link at the other reply may not be appropriate, because it does not address continuing to work in the old state. You have to file a part resident return for both states.  You will report ALL your KY wages on the KY return, because it was all earned there.  On your OH return, you will just report the wages received May-December, while you lived there.  OH will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the May-Dec wages taxed on the KY return.

Any other income you had, e.g. bank interest, you allocate to the state you were living in when you received the income.