ggliverette

Illinois State Tax

Why doesn't my 17yr old, full time student, not receive anything back from Illinois? He made less than $4000.00.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Illinois State Tax

in illinois, if claimed or could be claimed as a dependent on your return, he gets no deduction for exemptions.   in fact on $4,000 in wages and no Il withholdding, he could end up owing about $200.  note that at this point the Illinois return has not been finalized for 2019.  so do not e-file

MinhT

Illinois State Tax

Your child would not receive any refund from Illinois if he/she did not have any Illinois tax withholding (reported in box 17 of form W-2).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Illinois State Tax

ggliverette

Illinois State Tax

He had almost $200 withheld from Illinois.

ggliverette

Illinois State Tax

I just figured that he would get some of that back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Illinois State Tax

look at the return.  boxes 30 and 31. it will show you where he stands   becuase he is your dependent he does not get any Illinois exemptions thus his tax is 4.95% of his income.  on $4000 that would be $198.

Illinois website says its forms won't be ready until late January.   

boy4mom

Illinois State Tax

I just did my son's taxes, too.  He paid $255 in Illinois for $5,100 in summer wages.  He got all his federal withholdings back. 

JotikaT2

Illinois State Tax

Any refund will be based upon the amount of his income as well as whether he was claimed as a dependent on a parent's return.  If he is being claimed, please be sure to mark the box which states "Can be claimed as a dependent" on Form IL-1040:

Illinois dependent on another return

I would recommend filing his return once the tax filing season opens.  It is currently scheduled to start accepting tax returns on January 27th.

I have also attached a link to the Illinois Revenue Department with further information on when you need to file a return.

Do I need to file an Illinois return?

I would recommend filing a return for him if he does have federal and state withholdings as he may be eligible for a refund for any withholdings made over the amount of tax actually due.  

[Edited 01/20/20|2:27pm PST]