Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

woosa

I'm a Pennsylvania resident with income in Maryland. Why do I have Pennsylvania tax due?

Why do I have a Maryland refund but owe Pennsylvania taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm a Pennsylvania resident with income in Maryland. Why do I have Pennsylvania tax due?

If you had MD withholding on your pay checks, then you should get a MD refund.  But as a PA resident, all income is taxable by PA so you owe taxes on your MD income.  PA and MD have a reciprocal agreement that MD will not tax PA resident/s wages.

1.  Read this, and get that withholding stopped ASAP:

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/D...

Some MD employers will withhold PA taxes, just ask.

2.  Complete federal income tax return.

3. Prepare a MD nonresident return, see MD instructions in the above link.  If your only MD income was from wages, you should get a refund of all taxes withheld.

4.  Prepare a PA resident return, declaring all income, regardless of where earned.  Unless you made PA estimated payments, you likely will owe quite a bit.

5. If your employer won't withhold PA taxes (he's not required to do so), consider doing PA estimated taxes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you had MD withholding on your pay checks, then you should get a MD refund.  But as a PA resident, all income is taxable by PA so you owe taxes on your MD income.  PA and MD have a reciprocal agreement that MD will not tax PA resident/s wages.

1.  Read this, and get that withholding stopped ASAP:

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/D...

Some MD employers will withhold PA taxes, just ask.

2.  Complete federal income tax return.

3. Prepare a MD nonresident return, see MD instructions in the above link.  If your only MD income was from wages, you should get a refund of all taxes withheld.

4.  Prepare a PA resident return, declaring all income, regardless of where earned.  Unless you made PA estimated payments, you likely will owe quite a bit.

5. If your employer won't withhold PA taxes (he's not required to do so), consider doing PA estimated taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies