turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nickrsf

Withheld state income tax in North Carolina for 2016, but lived and worked in Texas the entire year. How do I recover money withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Withheld state income tax in North Carolina for 2016, but lived and worked in Texas the entire year. How do I recover money withheld?

If you are a resident of TX and worked remotely in TX for a NC company or just had NC withholdings take out of your wages in error, you will need to file a NC nonresident state income tax return to get a full refund of your NC withholdings.

In order to get the full refund of your NC state income tax withholdings, you will need to file a nonresident NC return but report zero "0" income from NC.  You must mail in this NC nonresident state income tax return and include your state W-2 information. You will want to include an explanatory statement with your NC return stating your situation (that your employer withheld NC taxes from your wages in error because you worked in and are a permanent resident of TX).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

If you are a resident of TX and worked remotely in TX for a NC company or just had NC withholdings take out of your wages in error, you will need to file a NC nonresident state income tax return to get a full refund of your NC withholdings.

In order to get the full refund of your NC state income tax withholdings, you will need to file a nonresident NC return but report zero "0" income from NC.  You must mail in this NC nonresident state income tax return and include your state W-2 information. You will want to include an explanatory statement with your NC return stating your situation (that your employer withheld NC taxes from your wages in error because you worked in and are a permanent resident of TX).

MG2279

When the state refuses to refund the money and the company won’t issue an updated W2, then what?  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies