Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my permanent residence is in Wyoming, but I lived in Nebraska for school and paid tuition in Nebraska, should my state taxes be going through Wyoming or Nebraska?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If my permanent residence is in Wyoming, but I lived in Nebraska for school and paid tuition in Nebraska, should my state taxes be going through Wyoming or Nebraska?

File your state tax where you are a permanent resident, which for you is Wyoming.  However if you earned money at a job while you were at school in Nebraska then you must file a return for that state as a nonresident.

Temporary residency for school does not change your permanent resident status. Review the information below if you had wages while you were a student in Nebraska.

Prepare the nonresident state first and then your resident state.  First, use the steps here to add the nonresident state to your file.

1. Select "My Info" in the black navigation panel on the left
  2. Edit by selecting the pencil next to your address or Edit
  3. For a second state only: Edit by selecting the pencil next to Other state income, select NE
  4. Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

Resident State:  All income worldwide is required to be reported on your resident state return.  Any money that is also taxed in a nonresident state is eligible for the "credit for taxes paid to another state" when you complete your resident state return.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income.

Nonresident State: Any money earned in a nonresident state is required to be reported on that state tax return (with the exception of reciprocal agreements which does not apply).  The nonresident state will tax any income earned from that state.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

File your state tax where you are a permanent resident, which for you is Wyoming.  However if you earned money at a job while you were at school in Nebraska then you must file a return for that state as a nonresident.

Temporary residency for school does not change your permanent resident status. Review the information below if you had wages while you were a student in Nebraska.

Prepare the nonresident state first and then your resident state.  First, use the steps here to add the nonresident state to your file.

1. Select "My Info" in the black navigation panel on the left
  2. Edit by selecting the pencil next to your address or Edit
  3. For a second state only: Edit by selecting the pencil next to Other state income, select NE
  4. Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

Resident State:  All income worldwide is required to be reported on your resident state return.  Any money that is also taxed in a nonresident state is eligible for the "credit for taxes paid to another state" when you complete your resident state return.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income.

Nonresident State: Any money earned in a nonresident state is required to be reported on that state tax return (with the exception of reciprocal agreements which does not apply).  The nonresident state will tax any income earned from that state.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies