turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I transferred my daughters 529 to the Path2College Georgia, do I put that in the total, or just what I put in the account this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I transferred my daughters 529 to the Path2College Georgia, do I put that in the total, or just what I put in the account this year?

Just what you added to it in 2017, not the transferred amount.

Contributions up to $2,000 per year, per beneficiary, are eligible for a Georgia state income tax deduction for those filing a single return; and $4,000 per year, per beneficiary, for those filling a joint return. 

A transfer is not considered a contribution. 

You are permitted to transfer funds from another 529 college savings plan to an account in Path2College 529 Plan for the same beneficiary once within a 12-month period without incurring federal income tax. The 529 college savings plan from which you are transferring funds may be subject to differences in features, costs and surrender charges. You should consult your tax advisor or the other 529 college savings plan.   (Which we are here to help you with)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Just what you added to it in 2017, not the transferred amount.

Contributions up to $2,000 per year, per beneficiary, are eligible for a Georgia state income tax deduction for those filing a single return; and $4,000 per year, per beneficiary, for those filling a joint return. 

A transfer is not considered a contribution. 

You are permitted to transfer funds from another 529 college savings plan to an account in Path2College 529 Plan for the same beneficiary once within a 12-month period without incurring federal income tax. The 529 college savings plan from which you are transferring funds may be subject to differences in features, costs and surrender charges. You should consult your tax advisor or the other 529 college savings plan.   (Which we are here to help you with)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies