hotmamareed09

If I started a small business with a direct sales company last year 2018 and just learned my tax ID number that I had expired from no use over 5 years, what do I do?

To clarify a bit more. I made over $500 got a 1099 and did claim sales tax on things. Was told my tax ID should still be good only to find out that it indeed expired and I obviously need to file my taxes asap. So my questions are...do I need one for sure or can I file without one? Can I apply for one today and use it right away? Will it count for last years income earned? 

MinhT

It is not important if your EIN has expired. In TurboTax, you should say that your business has no EIN. On your tax return, you can list the income and expenses of the business you started in 2018 under your SSN.

hotmamareed09

Ok thank you.
MinhT

You're welcome.