Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhk0063

I pay my state tax directly to MD so no tax info on my W-2 but form 502UP asks me to enter state tax on 502 line 40. How do I resolve this error?

I pay my state tax directly to MD so no tax info on my W-2 but when I enter form 502UP, it give me an error since form 502 line 40 is not entered. I enter m state tax in line 41 form 502 instead. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

I pay my state tax directly to MD so no tax info on my W-2 but form 502UP asks me to enter state tax on 502 line 40. How do I resolve this error?

You enter your MD state estimated taxes in the TT/Federal return - all TT/State tax payments are entered in the federal return.

Enter _estimated_  in the Find box and select estimated tax payments. Click Start (or Update if you've been there already) on State estimated taxes for 2017; click Yes (you paid state estimated taxes for 2017). In the next screen select Maryland for each payment and enter the amount. Adjust the dates if yours are different.

The "menu" way to drill down there is:
Federal Taxes tab
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Estimates <Start>
State estimated taxes for 2017 <and so on...>

Be sure to remove those TT/MD uneven withholding entries as well.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

You don't have to have an amount in Form 502 line 40 for the 502UP. What does the error message say exactly (to help us track down the issue)?
jhk0063

the error says,' 1st qtr withholding the amounts you entered does not equal total withholding of $0. on form 502 or form 505.
jhk0063

Obvious error since line 40 is blank. I ended my tax payment on line 41 instead.
jhk0063

used 502up to figure out if i had any underpayment
jhk0063

If I remove them i get penalized for underpayment since there is no way for Turbo tax to figure how I paid my state tax. Is there another way to enter my quarterly paid state tax?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

You enter your MD state estimated taxes in the TT/Federal return - all TT/State tax payments are entered in the federal return.

Enter _estimated_  in the Find box and select estimated tax payments. Click Start (or Update if you've been there already) on State estimated taxes for 2017; click Yes (you paid state estimated taxes for 2017). In the next screen select Maryland for each payment and enter the amount. Adjust the dates if yours are different.

The "menu" way to drill down there is:
Federal Taxes tab
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Estimates <Start>
State estimated taxes for 2017 <and so on...>

Be sure to remove those TT/MD uneven withholding entries as well.

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That error message happens when one or more amounts are entered in Uneven Maryland Withholding but there is no MD withholding on Forms 502 line 40 or 505 line 45.

That's a section of the TT/MD Underpayment part of the program and you should go back there and remove your entry(ies) (there are 4 fields) for uneven MD withholding since there is no MD withholding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies