turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yk1091107

If I'm a non-resident, but I lived in U.S. more than 5 years, how should I file the tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If I'm a non-resident, but I lived in U.S. more than 5 years, how should I file the tax return?

As a F-visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for five years from the year you first enter the US.  In your situation, it is from 2012-2016.  Starting from January 1, 2017, if you are present in the US for at least 183 days or meet the Substantial Presence Test SPT, you are treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  You are required to file a Form 1040 report worldwide income.   If you are using TurboTax program, start entering your information by following the step-by-step interview questions, the software will create the correct tax forms. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

What visa do you carry? when did you first enter the US?
yk1091107

F1 and entered 2012
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for five years from the year you first enter the US.  In your situation, it is from 2012-2016.  Starting from January 1, 2017, if you are present in the US for at least 183 days or meet the Substantial Presence Test SPT, you are treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  You are required to file a Form 1040 report worldwide income.   If you are using TurboTax program, start entering your information by following the step-by-step interview questions, the software will create the correct tax forms. 

yk1091107

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies