Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hansue555

If I live in Florida and worked in Pennsylvania, how do I receive a return of taxes from Pennsylvania or Florida to avoid double taxation?

- Do I ask for a credit or return from Florida (a state where I live) or from Pennsylvania (a state where I worked)?
- What is the form I have to file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I live in Florida and worked in Pennsylvania, how do I receive a return of taxes from Pennsylvania or Florida to avoid double taxation?

@hansue555 wrote:
- Do I ask for a credit or return from Florida (a state where I live) or from Pennsylvania (a state where I worked)?

It is definitely not Florida since Florida does not levy a state individual income tax; there is no individual income tax form to send to the State of Florida.

If you need to file a Pennsylvania return, you can purchase that state from within the TurboTax program (assuming a free state was not included with your version of TurboTax).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@hansue555 wrote:

It is definitely not Florida since Florida does not levy a state individual income tax; there is no individual income tax form to send to the State of Florida.

If you need to file a Pennsylvania return, you can purchase that state from within the TurboTax program (assuming a free state was not included with your version of TurboTax).

Hal_Al
Level 15

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident PA state return and pay PA tax on the income earned there.

Since FL does not have an income tax, you do not have a resident return to file.  So, there will be no offsetting credit for the PA tax paid. 

The question you didn't ask is "will PA consider you a resident for tax purposes?"  That depends on the circumstances of how and why you are working there but consider yourself a FL resident. See https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-611.pdf

TomD8
Level 15

Just to clarify, the income you earned from work you carried out in PA is 100% taxable by PA, regardless of whether you are a non-resident or a statutory resident of PA.

The reference provided by @Hal_Al explains "statutory" residency.

There is no "double taxation" because Florida has no income tax.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies