turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrdean7

If I am a resident of Colorado but a full-time college student in Idaho do I still need to file a Colorado state return if all my income was in Idaho?

In 2019 I worked part-time while attending college full-time (both in Idaho). I didn't earn any wages in my state of residence (Colorado). Do I still need to file a Colorado return or just an Idaho return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I am a resident of Colorado but a full-time college student in Idaho do I still need to file a Colorado state return if all my income was in Idaho?

You have to file both an Idaho nonresident tax return and a Colorado resident tax return. Since you are a Colorado resident, all your income is subject to Colorado tax, no matter where the income is from. You have to pay Idaho tax on the income you earned in Idaho, but you will get a credit on your Colorado tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to Idaho. Prepare your Idaho nonresident tax return first, then your Colorado resident tax return, to make sure that the credit is calculated correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies