turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IA IL reciprocal agreement question - IL resident, had IA taxes withheld, and asking for refund from IA, when e-filing will all the information submitted to IA?

IL resident, working in IA. Had IA taxes withheld. In Turbotax, I filled out a non-resident state tax return for IA for a full refund of the IA tax withheld, and filled out a resident IL state tax return and thus oweing IL on the tax. Now, I had to paper mail in the tax return for IL, and I was able to e-file the IA state return.

Now, my question is, is all the relevant information included when I e-filed for IA? Like the information that IA taxes were withheld and that I'm a non-resident and will pay the taxes for IL and other relevant info? Is the IL tax return also sent to IA?

If I need to send them more information, is there a way to submit again on Turbotax, or do I need to mail it in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

IA IL reciprocal agreement question - IL resident, had IA taxes withheld, and asking for refund from IA, when e-filing will all the information submitted to IA?

If you work in IA, live in IL and had IA withholdings taken out in error, then you really needed to file your IA return by mail (reporting $0 income) and could have efiled your IL return. Your IA efiled return will not include any information about your IL return being filed.

In order to get the full refund of your nonresident state income tax withholdings, you will need to file a nonresident return but report zero "0" income from the nonresident state. You need to file your nonresident state return this way because your resident state does not allow a credit for tax paid to a reciprocal state on wages, salaries and commissions. If tax was withheld by a reciprocal state, you must file directly with the state for a refund of those taxes. You must mail in this nonresident state income tax return and include your state W-2 information. You will want to include an explanatory statement with your return stating your situation (that your nonresident state employer withheld nonresident state taxes from your wages in error due to a reciprocal agreement with your resident state).

Also once you efile a return, if you need to make changes or amend, you would have to file by mail.

How to Amend a Return You Already Filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies