Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akd72012

I worked in NY for 13 weeks in 2018 and made a total of $26000 while there. The NY state tax form wants to pull over my total gross income as the amount taxed by NY. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I worked in NY for 13 weeks in 2018 and made a total of $26000 while there. The NY state tax form wants to pull over my total gross income as the amount taxed by NY. Why?

Were you working there as a resident or a non-resident or part-year resident?    Is NY the resident state or the non-resident state, or part-year resident?    Did you prepare the non-resident state return first as recommended?

Which state did you indicate in the MY INFO section for the question "what was your state of residence on December 31, 2018?"    And then the followup in that section in regard to "previous state of residence" and date you became resident in current state?

If you provide the additional info, someone familiar with NY state returns will hopefully be able to assist you.

TomD8
Level 15

NY uses your total gross income to calculate your NY tax rate, but then it applies that rate only to your NY-source income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies