jenn-beaudry1

I worked in NY all of 2016. I lived in NJ from Jan-May, moved to NY in June. Do I have to file a nonresident return or do I only file a part-year NJ and a part-year NY?

ChristinaS

You only have 2 tax returns-

IT-203- NY Nonresident and Part Year Resident return

NJ-1040 (resident return- allocated as a Part Year Resident)

NJ is one of few states that require taxpayers to file 2 separate tax returns as part year and nonresident. The IT-203 for NY covers both the income you made there as well as the income you earned there while a resident. You do not file 2 NY tax returns for the nonresident and resident periods.

You do need to allocate the portion of the NY income/ tax paid to NY while a resident of NY on the NJ part year return.

ChristinaS

You only have 2 tax returns-