turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work remotely from my home state, NY. But my employers' legal entities are based in CT and MA. Do I have to file a CT and MA tax return?

I was an employee of Thomson Reuters Holdings, Inc, based in Stamford CT, until Oct 2018.  Subsequent to that, I was an employee of Thomson Reuters (Markets) LLC, based in Boston, MA.

I worked from my home office in NY state all year.  I don't have a dedicated office in Stamford or Boston.

Do I need to file CT or MA returns?  Note that my W-2s for each entity show CT and Boston addresses.

Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work remotely from my home state, NY. But my employers' legal entities are based in CT and MA. Do I have to file a CT and MA tax return?

If you only worked remotely, and were never present in either state when working, you do not need to file state tax returns for CT or MA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you only worked remotely, and were never present in either state when working, you do not need to file state tax returns for CT or MA.

Thank you.  I'll also add that there is an exception to this rule.  If an employer sent withholdings to a state, but you didn't work in that state, then it would still necessitate that you file a return to claim a refund.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies