turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ar281610

I work in WV but am a nonresident and live in OH. My W2 states that state income tax was taken out for OH. It's having me uncheck the "nonresidency" Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work in WV but am a nonresident and live in OH. My W2 states that state income tax was taken out for OH. It's having me uncheck the "nonresidency" Is this correct?

Correct.

West Virginia and Ohio have a tax reciprocity agreement which prevents double taxation.

Even though your employer is in West Virginia, the taxes have been properly withheld and paid to Ohio. This means you are not a "nonresident." 

You will not need to file a West Virginia state income tax return.

For more information, follow this link:

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/faq/tabid/6315/Default.aspx?QuestionID=5436&AFMID=11354

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct.

West Virginia and Ohio have a tax reciprocity agreement which prevents double taxation.

Even though your employer is in West Virginia, the taxes have been properly withheld and paid to Ohio. This means you are not a "nonresident." 

You will not need to file a West Virginia state income tax return.

For more information, follow this link:

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/faq/tabid/6315/Default.aspx?QuestionID=5436&AFMID=11354

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies