elfrank14

I work for my tribe and live on a reservation in California. I should not have to pay California State Income taxes. Where do I enter this information

PatriciaV

Yes, as a Native American living and working on a reservation, you may be able to exempt your wages from State Income Tax (but not Federal). Read more here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/Native_Americans/

Here are the instructions on how to do this in TurboTax:

When you finish the Federal Taxes section,  click State Taxes in the TurboTax header.

1. Begin the state tax return interview.
  2. Continue to the page titled "Here's the income that XXXX handles differently"
  3. Click Start/Revisit beside "Tribal Income"
  4. Choose your Tribe Name and enter the amount of tribal income to exclude. See the blue link "nonbusiness tribal income" for help.
  5. If your tribe is NOT on the drop-down list, it may not have a tax agreement with your State. Contact your local tribe representative for more info.

Complete the state interview to save your entries.