Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbm0715

I will move to and work in CA in 2020. I will have interest income (but no earned income) from a savings account based in NC in 2020. Do I have to file in NC or only CA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I will move to and work in CA in 2020. I will have interest income (but no earned income) from a savings account based in NC in 2020. Do I have to file in NC or only CA?

If you move out of NC in 2020, you will have to file a 2020 NC part-year resident return only if your NC-source income exceeds the NC filing threshold for your filing status.  For the details about that, see the "part-year resident" section of this web reference:  https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/individual-income-filing-requirements

Interest income earned as an NC resident is NC-source income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The interest you received while an NC resident will be taxable by NC. The interest you received while a CA resident will be taxable by CA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies