turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SUE6

OWN A COURIER BUSINESS AS SOLE PROPRIETOR. LIVE IN WASHINGTON AND DISPATCHED OUT OF WASHINGTON. I DELIVER TO OREGON,MY 1099 IS FROM NY. DO I FILE NON RESIDENT TAX RETURN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

OWN A COURIER BUSINESS AS SOLE PROPRIETOR. LIVE IN WASHINGTON AND DISPATCHED OUT OF WASHINGTON. I DELIVER TO OREGON,MY 1099 IS FROM NY. DO I FILE NON RESIDENT TAX RETURN?

For a full-year nonresident, Oregon imposes a tax only on taxable income “derived from sources within this state.” ORS 316.037(3)

So the question is, did you have  "a business, trade, profession or occupation carried on" in the state? ORS 316.127

What percent of your deliveries take place on OR? If it's high, OR could take the position that you owe nonresident taxes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What address  the issuer of the 1099 uses had  nothing to do with filing a state return ... if you do not work in NY then you have no NY return to complete.
SUE6

I was wondering about Oregon not New York? Sorry for the confusion

For a full-year nonresident, Oregon imposes a tax only on taxable income “derived from sources within this state.” ORS 316.037(3)

So the question is, did you have  "a business, trade, profession or occupation carried on" in the state? ORS 316.127

What percent of your deliveries take place on OR? If it's high, OR could take the position that you owe nonresident taxes.

SUE6

95% of my pick ups are in oregon

Then you are doing business in OR.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies