kadeiaw

I was born and raised in New York. I’m currently in the state of Virginia for school. What date do I put for my residency in New York?

AmyC

You are considered a full-year resident of New York if your permanent home is there and you plan to return home after school. 

If you have left home permanently and created a new life, drivers license, insurance, voting all in VA, then you would be a part year resident of each state.

If you were indeed a full year resident of NY, enter the full year.

If you were creating a whole new life, not just college and work, then enter when you changed your license, voting, etc as the date you left.

Please view the New York state revenue page for more information.

AmyC