turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dwang53

Can i use the cost of the tools purchased for the solar investment tax credit as ai Insalled the system myself

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can i use the cost of the tools purchased for the solar investment tax credit as ai Insalled the system myself

The following is an extract form the IRS instructions for form 5695, which can be read in its entirety at this link:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

You may be able to take a credit of 30% of your costs of qualified solar electric property, solar water heating property,
small wind energy property, geothermal heat pump property, and fuel cell property. Include any labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the residential energy efficient property and for piping or wiring to interconnect such property to the home.

Although the IRS allows labor costs to be included, unfortunately they do not allow the costs of tools to be included. Also if you did the installation yourself, you cannot claim the costs of your own labor.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dwang53

- i purchased drills, roofing tile remove, conduit bender
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The following is an extract form the IRS instructions for form 5695, which can be read in its entirety at this link:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

You may be able to take a credit of 30% of your costs of qualified solar electric property, solar water heating property,
small wind energy property, geothermal heat pump property, and fuel cell property. Include any labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the residential energy efficient property and for piping or wiring to interconnect such property to the home.

Although the IRS allows labor costs to be included, unfortunately they do not allow the costs of tools to be included. Also if you did the installation yourself, you cannot claim the costs of your own labor.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mjkenning

What is the basis for this comment? What leads you to believe that your own labor costs are not allowable as part of the credit? I have a quote for the same system with labor and parts, but I did it myself. Isn't that good enough to qualify for claiming labor costs?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies