turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid my Iowa State tax with my refund and now I'm getting a letter stating my Iowa State tax was not paid by you guys.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid my Iowa State tax with my refund and now I'm getting a letter stating my Iowa State tax was not paid by you guys.

you can not pay your state tax due with your federal refund.    nor can you pay a federal tax due with a state refund.       send payment to keep the penalties and interest for late payment to a minimum.   

If you can pay it with refund then why do they offer that when you pay for the fees on turbo tax. And they took it off of my refund for state I believe because I got il state refund. Either way they took money and it did not get paid.

If you can pay it with refund then why do they offer that when you pay for the fees on turbo tax. And they took it off of my refund for state I believe because I got Illinois state refund. Either way they took money and it did not get paid.

The only thing that you can choose to be taken out of any refund at all are the TurboTax fees, and those can only be taken out of a Federal refund.

You cannot pay any state taxes due out of a  Federal refund.   The IRS has no procedure to do that, and TurboTax has no procedure to do that.  There are over 40 different state tax agencies.   You need to pay any state taxes due using one of the methods your state allows.  

Please see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Did you choose to pay your product fees out of the Federal refund?   If so, and if you are using Live Deluxe,  here are typical fees that could have been taken out of your Federal refund:

119.99 for the Federal return

44.99 for the state return

39.99 service fee for the option to pay out of Federal refund.

Plus possible sales tax.

Plus optional add-on, if elected, such as Audit Defense or MAX Defend & Restore.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies