Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I need to add my state tax

1 Reply
New Member

I need to add my state tax

If you already filed your federal return outside of TurboTax and just need to do your state, you can either:

  1. Contact your State Department of Revenue or visit their website to use their tax-filing service or to download and print out their tax forms; or
  2. Re-create your federal return in the TurboTax software or TurboTax Online but don't file it. Then prepare and file your state return using TurboTax.
  • You'll need to paper-file your state return, as state returns cannot be e-filed separately.

The first option is free; the second option requires payment for both federal and state returns, even though you won't be filing your federal.

Or, if you filed your Federal return already with TurboTax and are returning to file your state, you may do the following:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online
  2. Find My TurboTax
  3. From the drop-down menu, select My Tax Timeline
  4. Scroll down to "SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO"
  5. Click Add a state under your 2016 tax return

This will allow you back in to the program. Review and complete your state portion in the program. Then, go to the File tab to choose a filing option.

Please comment back if I can be of more help.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies