turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved to North Carolina from VA in July 2019 but did not become a resident until January 2020. Do I put that I moved in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I moved to North Carolina from VA in July 2019 but did not become a resident until January 2020. Do I put that I moved in 2019?

You became a resident of NC on the day you began living in your new home in NC.  Your drivers license or vehicle plates are irrelevant with regard to establishing residency.  That's because some people wait months or even years after moving to obtain a new DL or license plates.

So for 2019 you will file as a part-year resident in both VA and NC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you  moved in July, why do you think you did not become a resident until January 2020? Normally, the physical move constitutes a change in residence for tax purposes.  You should file as a part year resident of both states. 

I did not get a North Carolina license or change my address on DMV until January 2020. Should I still file two states?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. You were a NC resident starting in July.

Thank you!

TomD8
Level 15

You became a resident of NC on the day you began living in your new home in NC.  Your drivers license or vehicle plates are irrelevant with regard to establishing residency.  That's because some people wait months or even years after moving to obtain a new DL or license plates.

So for 2019 you will file as a part-year resident in both VA and NC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies