Ask the Experts about Life Changes in 2021 >> Event happening TODAY!
Raj8

I moved to California from India for work on 1st Dec 2018. Should I be filing taxes as a resident, non-resident or part-year resident?

CarolynM

It is unlikely you need to file at all. You do not need to file a California income tax return if your income in California was not greater than the filing threshold.

The income thresholds for 2018 are

• Single with a total income from CA sources of $17,693 or more
  • Married with joint income from CA sources of $35,388 or more

If you income for December does exceed the above amounts, you will file a California Part Year Resident Tax Return to report the income you made in California.  

For more information about this return, follow this link:  CA Non-Residents and Part Year Residents

CarolynM

The income thresholds for 2018 are