I moved from NY to NJ on 5/1/2016. I worked in NY all year long. I am filing NY part year resident and NJ part year resident. Do I also have to file NY NON RESIDENT?

How many state returns do I file? Two or three?

If I have to chose NY non resident (for the income I made in NY while living in NJ for the second half of 2016), how do I do it on TT?

When I go to "Other State Income" and try to chose NY again, it tells me I cannot:

"Your selection should not duplicate your prior state of New York, please check your selections".

So how can I add NY non resident return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Patrice

You would only file 2 state returns.  Part-year NY and Part-Year NJ.  In each return you will have the opportunity to "allocate" how much you made while you were a resident of NY and how much you earned while you were a resident of NJ.  However, because you earned all you income in NY you may still have to pay NY taxes on the entire amount of income you earned.  However, residents of New Jersey (and most other states) can take a tax credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions.

Next year, if you continue to live in NJ and work in NY then you will file a non-resident NY and resident NJ return but this year you would file a part-year NY and part-year NJ.  

Thank you. Can you also help me understand how I should "allocate" the income made while while I was a resident of NY vs while I was resident of NJ?
My W-2 shows this:
100% of my wages under NY (box 16 "State wages and tips" of my NY part of W-2)
43% of my wages under NY (box 18 "Local wages and tips" of my NY part of W-2)
58% of my wages under NJ (box 16 "State wages and tips" of my NJ part of W-2)

I thought that the box "local wages and tips" of NY added to "state wages and tips" for NJ would give me a total of 100% but when I add these two boxes, the total amount is slightly higher than the 100% of my wages (I checked it a couple of times - it's not a matter of decimals, it's a couple of hundreds).
Why could this be a case? Is my W-2 incorrect?
Or should I ignore the " NY local wages and tips" and just subtract "NJ state wages and tips" from the total to see how much was made when I was NY resident?