turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from MD to DE last year but still worked in MD-ONLY MD tax taken from wages, how do I file my state taxes-Is there a way to transfer the taxes paid to MD, to DE?

I moved from MD to DE in the last half of the year but I still worked in MD - My employer took ONLY MD tax out of my wages, how do I file my state taxes - Is there a way to transfer the taxes paid to MD, to DE?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

I moved from MD to DE last year but still worked in MD-ONLY MD tax taken from wages, how do I file my state taxes-Is there a way to transfer the taxes paid to MD, to DE?

Sorry, no they are 2 different states and do not move monies between them. You have to always pay taxes to the state you live in and to the state you work in unless there is a reciprocal tax agreement (there is not one between MD and DE) which then you only pay taxes to your resident state.

You must first complete the federal return and please indicate you lived in more than one state during the personal interview section.

Do note all states begin with federal income, do not let that concern you as you will allocate during the interview process.

Maryland requires you to file as a part year resident.  During the interview you will indicate the period of time you lived there.  You may allocate other income out for the period of time you lived in DE.   All income though is sourced to MD.

You should file a change of address with the MD dept of revenue.  http://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/current_forms/109-I.pdf

You will complete the DE return last. TT will walk you through allocations. If you are a resident of Delaware who works in Maryland, you may take credit on line 10 of the Delaware return (form 200-01) for taxes imposed by other states. You must attach a signed copy of your Maryland return in order to take this credit. You will not be liable for Maryland County Taxes as a Delaware resident.

I am not a TT employee.

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Note to "part year residents": It is true that you aren't liable for Maryland County Taxes as a Delaware resident, but only for the portion of your Maryland income earned while you were a Delaware resident.  However, for Maryland income earned during the time that you are a resident of Delaware, Maryland will hit you with an additional 1.75 percent tax on top of its regular State tax rate (e.g., ranges from 4.75 to 5.75 percent plus 1.75 percent, or 6.5 to 7.5 percent).  You will get credit in Delaware for the State taxes paid to Maryland, but I found the formula used by Delaware to determine that credit very confusing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies