turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I moved from MARYLAND TO VIRGINIA IN JANUARY OF 2019 but i forgot to change my address and i paid MARYLAND STATE TAXES. How i have to transfer the money from MD to VA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I moved from MARYLAND TO VIRGINIA IN JANUARY OF 2019 but i forgot to change my address and i paid MARYLAND STATE TAXES. How i have to transfer the money from MD to VA?

It depends on when you moved, how to claim the money. You will get a MD refund and will owe VA. File both returns now. Get your MD refund and use it to pay VA by the new deadline.

Here are the steps to file using the first option, resident VA, MD non-resident.

Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions.

You will need to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident MD  return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. THEN prepare your resident state VA return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state.
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same income. You may owe your resident state.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!

It was helpful, I appreciate that.

I do not want to bother you but maybe you would like to help me  with this other question: Do you know how to register in TurboTax  a pay ahead  that I made last year for my 2019 taxes aside of  my W2?  
Thank you again.

Very success for you 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

To enter estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) - 

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

thank you so much for your help!

I moved to Virginia ( where I have been working for 10 years)  in 2019  FroM Maryland.
I lived the whole year in Virginia but I forgot to change my address and I paid Maryland State taxes. How I can get the refund from Maryland and pay to Virginia? Thank you so much.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

You must file a Maryland nonresident tax return to get a refund of your taxes paid to Maryland.  You can file both the Maryland and Virginia now (at the same time). 

For the Maryland nonresident return, choose to e-file and on the following screen elect the option have your refund deposited to your bank account, if possible.  That is the fastest way to get your refund.

For the Virginia resident return, choose to e-file and on the following screen elect the option to "pay by check", and then pay the tax due before the June 1st deadline.  See the Virginia Tax website at this link for payment options, including an online payment option or the address to mail your check.

And, remember to contact the payroll department where you work to get your state withholding changed to Virginia.

Hi--I'm not sure if this will send a notification but I'm dealing with a nearly identical situation for my 2021 taxes. 

I moved out of my home in Maryland at the end of February 2021, then lived in a temporary vacation place for a month, and officially moved to VA in March 2021 but my withholding was never updated. 

Another wrinkle I worked from home for the full year, and the company I work for is officially based in Virginia, though everyone works from home so there is no physical office at all. 

Does this sound like I should file a non-resident return for MD or do I need the part year return?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You must file a part year resident form for each state. Since the company is based in Virginia (VA), all income is considered VA sourced income and is taxable to VA. You could do a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income for the first 2-3 months of the year during your Maryland (MD) residency.  This may take some calculation on your part to be sure you enter the appropriate income and tax for this period on the MD return.

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  As the resident state all worldwide income must be included.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

You need a Maryland (MD) part year if you worked while you were a resident in MD. January through March (or February)

• How does Maryland tax part-year resident? Pesonal Tax Tip #52

Were you a resident of Maryland for part of the year? If you either established or abandoned Maryland residency during the calendar year, you must file as a part-year resident, using Form 502.

As a nonresident of Virginia (VA) working remotely for a VA company: Virginia Residency Status

• You are liable to pay Virginia income tax as a nonresident on income you earn from any business, trade, profession, or occupation in Virginia.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies