Kebenny

I moved at the end of 2018 and my W-4 wasn't changed to my new state until halfway through 2019, I paid taxes to the wrong state despite never working there.

Like I said above. I moved from NC to CO in December of 2018.  I didn't notice until June of 2019 that my W-4 was not updated and I was still paying NC state income tax which is quite a bit higher than CO. My 2019 W-2 shows my income split between the two states but I never worked in NC for a minute. Is there a way to fix this? Do I file a state return for each state, or only file a CO return?

MinhT1

You'll need to file a non-resident state return for NC to claim a refund of tax withheld, in addition to your CO return.

MinhT1

Kebenny

Understood, I assume for the NC non-resident return, I will enter 0 wages earned in NC and then on my CO enter my total wages actually earned in CO?

MinhT1

Yes, you are correct.