Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eve8522

I'm state exempt from income taxes since I'm a Florida resident. However, my husband is active duty military. I did pay some state taxes to Maryland will I be getting that back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm state exempt from income taxes since I'm a Florida resident. However, my husband is active duty military. I did pay some state taxes to Maryland will I be getting that back?

It depends.  If your husband's SLR is also Florida, then yes, you will get the Maryland taxes back.  Please see this FAQ on Military Spouse Residency, and especially the Joe and Mary example:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

By that FAQ and MSRRA rules, you are always a Florida resident if your husband also is, and you only accompany him to other states because of PCS orders.  But if he is not, then you have become a Maryland Resident for tax purposes and would pay Maryland tax on your income.

However, if you are in fact a Florida resident because of MSRRA, then you will file a Maryland nonresident return with a zero income.  It might be necessary to mail in the return with the W-2 and a documentation of your residency status so that the income taxes are returned to you.  In addition, you will want to mention this to your employer as well so that they stop withholding Maryland tax, and then you will not need to file a Maryland return in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If your husband's SLR is also Florida, then yes, you will get the Maryland taxes back.  Please see this FAQ on Military Spouse Residency, and especially the Joe and Mary example:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

By that FAQ and MSRRA rules, you are always a Florida resident if your husband also is, and you only accompany him to other states because of PCS orders.  But if he is not, then you have become a Maryland Resident for tax purposes and would pay Maryland tax on your income.

However, if you are in fact a Florida resident because of MSRRA, then you will file a Maryland nonresident return with a zero income.  It might be necessary to mail in the return with the W-2 and a documentation of your residency status so that the income taxes are returned to you.  In addition, you will want to mention this to your employer as well so that they stop withholding Maryland tax, and then you will not need to file a Maryland return in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies