elijah-r-perry

I'm concerned my Maryland state return is incorrect. Should I be entering Pennsylvania income, which I've already reported, as non-Maryland income?

I was a part-year resident, moving from PA to MD in 2016. I have already reported income earned in both states on my federal return, which was migrated to my Pennsylvania return but it is not clear that it was also migrated to my MD return. When asked to enter non-Maryland income, I'm inclined to enter the amount I earned while living in PA. However, this makes a substantial difference and takes me from owing to actually receiving a refund. Please help clarify this situation.

TerryA

What you did in your MD return - entering the income you earned while living in PA as non-Maryland income - is exactly right. MD doesn't get to tax your income until you moved there but the part-year MD return starts off with federal adjusted gross income so you have subtract out the portion of the total income that MD doesn't get to tax.

TerryA

elijah-r-perry

That helps! It's confusing that TurboTax would automatically pull in the correct amount from my W-2s to my PA tax form, but then ask me to manually enter it on the MD tax form.
ejgiaco2004

I completely agree and had the same confusion. Perhaps Turbo Tax could update this.
ssukhadia1

Yes, please update this feature ASAP. I wasted an hour searching for the answer of the same question. Thank god I found it here. TurboTax you owe me the state tax fees that you charged for MD (not PA) as your this section was not informative and wasted my hour (late in night).
pjbluvas

Agree that this section of TurboTax is confusing/incomplete. Essentially I have to find the Federal income and do the calculation manually when it could pull that info in and allow me to assign a percentage. (Note in the TurboTax menus for Virginia part-year returns they do exactly this.)