amyqmcd

I'm a grad student in MD, but did a 3 month internship in WA, where I earned most of my annual income. Do I file as permanent or part-year MD resident?

Hal_Al

You were a full year MD resident

amyqmcd

Thank you Hal_Al! So I don't need to record anything related to my WA taxes? It's as though I earned all the income in MD?
TomD8

That is correct.  Your state of residence can tax all your income, regardless of where you earned it.  A temporary absence from your home state for work or school does not constitute a change in residency.  Non-resident states can tax you for income earned within their borders, but this is not an issue in your case, because Washington State does not have a personal income tax.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.