turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in the US for the 1st there months in Wisconsin. I moved out of the country on the 4th month and never returned. How should I file tax

I mean first 3 months
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I lived in the US for the 1st there months in Wisconsin. I moved out of the country on the 4th month and never returned. How should I file tax

If you are a citizen or resident alien, the rules are the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to US income tax, regardless of where you reside. If the country where you move has an income tax treaty with the United States, you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit if you paid income taxes to that country based from earned income earned in that country. 

if you are a non-resident alien filing a 1040 NR, you are generally taxed on your US based income. Please click here for additional information. 

in addition, you will need to file a Wisconsin State return on money earned while a Wisconsin resident regardless if you are a resident or non resident alien. Please select this link for detailed instructions on how to file your state taxes while a Wisconsin part year resident. As you go through the questions, the program will ask you what state you lived in as of Dec 31, 2019. You will select the drop down that indicates you live in a foreign or US possession. When it asks for a zip code, leave that blank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies